Friday 19 January 2018

Requiem for a Dream (2000) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written June 3rd, 2016*

This is the first time watching this since I saw it on TV late one night when I was about 7. Yeah.... I was way too young to have watched something like this, but hey, whatever, that was my childhood, a mismatch of images I remember from films far too graphic. At least a lot of Requiem for a Dream stuck with me for 12 years now, the disturbing imagery, the ass-to-ass dildo scene, the arm being cut off. It all stayed in my brain for many, many years.

I'm not sure what took me so long to rewatch this, it's something I've wanted to watch as an adult for a long time now and for whatever reason I never got round to buying the Blu-ray (still haven't), but I saw it was added on Netflix and knew it was time.

This interwoven tale of 4 different drug addicts is harsh, brutal and really not for the faint of heart. Honestly, I was a little disappointed, while effective and disturbing, it kinda came off as the worlds longest anti-drug advert. It feels very heavy handed at times, kinda like what 'Flight' did for alcohol.

 I was interesting in exploring some of Jared Leto's earlier acting roles as his debut as The Joker in 'Suicide Squad' gets closer and closer. He is pretty damn good here, his character is probably the most unlikable out of the four leads, but he's good.


Darren Aronofsky (A director I really admire) creates a dirty, disgusting world where all these characters go on a journey into the heart of darkness. This is one of the bleakest films I've ever seen, not a single character ends up in a good place by the end of this. Strangely enough, the editing style of this is something that Edgar Wright later uses in his films, which took my by surprise. It's filmed in that grimy '90s music video aesthetic that works and makes for a visually unique film. 

I did like the balance of all the characters and the journey they do all go on, each going to different and horrific places. One losing their arm to infection, another ending up in prison, another ending up selling her body to pay for drugs in the sleaziest orgies imaginable and finally one ending up in a mental facility. 

I guess that's why this is a hard watch for a lot of people and a hard films to recommend to anybody. While I did like it and it does work as a great anti-drugs films that should probably be played in schools. It does at times feel like a 100 minute equivalent of Mr. Mackey from South Park telling you "Drugs are bad. M'kay?"


For better or worse, Requiem for a Dream is a powerful, depressing and stylish look at the effects of drugs and an important film, but it's heavy-handed message keeps it from truly being amazing.

7/10 Dans

Requiem for a Dream is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...