Wednesday 4 October 2017

Interview with the Vampire (1994) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written October 4th, 2017*

"Suck me dry, Tom Cruise"

I rarely enjoy vampire films, and I'm not entirely sure why. I just find them generally boring for some reason. Even loved ones like Bram Stoker's Dracula, there's just something about that period setting that makes it a chore to get through.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Interview With the Vampire. Brad Pitt was great, as was a really young Kirsten Dunst. While Tom Cruise was easily the highlight as the villain. It's a shame he disappears for such a long stretch of the film. All the stuff between him and Pitt were my favourite parts. It was also a weird surprise to see Christian Slater in a film that wasn't straight-to-DVD.


It looks awesome. There's just something about '90s films that feel a lot better. The sets are all built and not CGI, the costumes look great and I love the smokey look of everything. I can't fault the atmosphere.

My main fault is really just how much things come to halt in the second half. The stuff in Paris is far less interesting than in New Orleans, although Antonio Banderas is clearly having fun with his campy role. 

I need to see more good vampire films like this. Enough so the word "Vampire" doesn't instantly put me off a film.

7/10 Dans

Interview with the Vampire is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...