Thursday 26 October 2017

Child's Play 3 (1991) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written October 26th, 2017*

"Chucky Goes to Military School"

Not entirely sure why I watched this tonight. I guess because it was 2:30am and I wanted something that was short and I fancied some Chucky. Plus it's October, so always time for a slasher film, right?

This was always my least favourite of the original trilogy growing up, and it still is. There's nothing massively wrong with it as a horror sequel. The military school is a nice change of scenery. The 8 year jump is a bit jarring (Placing the film in 1998 despite being released in 1991). Luckily, I think Bride of Chucky played catch up by taking place a month after this. 

It's by far the most nasty and mean spirited of the first 3. There's just something a lot more brutal and dark this time round. Chucky is still the lovable scamp he usually is with the same charming vocabulary. Maybe the whole thing is tainted by the James Bulger connection (A case I've read too much about at this point). I dunno, something just seems off.


At least some of the kills are fun and creative, which they did more with the swapped paintball rounds for bullets though. I feel a massacre of the kids could have been a lot more effective and sick. There's also some excellent puppetry going on here and Chucky's lip syncing seems much more refined from what I remember. 

There's a nice change where Chucky isn't after Andy for once, but it's a shame they abandoned all the original actors due to the time jump. It's made worse by the fact all the performances (Aside from the hairdresser) are universally awful. I feel bad picking out a child for his acting, but Jeremy Sylvers is atrocious.

I did love the setting of the finale. I just love stuff that takes place in a Halloween maze/ride. Kinda reminded me of the finale of The Guest, but with a ginger midget of a doll rather than Dan Stevens. Brad Dourif is still wonderful as Chucky. I still love the fact he's a more vocal killer that mocks his victims more in line with Freddy Krueger rather than the silent killers like Michael Myers of Jason Voorhees. 


I'm looking forward to revisiting Bride and Seed of Chucky that have both finally been released on Blu-ray in the UK. Which is about damn time. Child's Play 3 though is just fine, it's nasty, mean-spirited and violent, but it's more Charles Lee Ray going bananas. So I can't complain too much.

6/10 Dans

Child's Play 3 is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:



Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...