Tuesday 18 July 2017

Interstellar (2014) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written July 18th, 2017*

"Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here"

Interstellar is a film I've been saying repeatedly since 2014 that "I really need to rewatch Insterstellar", well I finally did it and I loved it even more. My biggest shame about Interstellar is that I sadly missed it in theaters, which would have been an experience. That said, even at home, it's a rich, emotional and beautiful film that kept me involved through its near 3 hour run time.

My only problem with Interstellar when I first watched it, is the how lost I was in the last act of the film. Things got confusing and complicated, which it still was, but a little less this time, so it didn't bother me overall. Despite my lack of entirely knowing what was going on, it was still an incredible experience.

All the minor problems are overcome with the emotional highs the film reaches. I have my problems with Nolan's previous work. Don't get me wrong. I love Inception, but I did find it a bit cold and filled with too much exposition. Nolan seems to have fixed that here with a film that puts characters first and lets its story flow without having to explain too much every second of the way.

The emotional highs are insane. Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) having to leave his family in the first act is utterly devestating thanks to the film taking the time to build up the relationship between him and his daughter. The messages on his space voyage are also extremely effective thanks to McConaughey's fantastic performance.


Even on top of the strong story and character material, Interstellar is a technical masterpiece filled to the brim with cool, original and creative sci-fi ideas. This is easily the best looking of Nolan's work. It is a beautiful film with a crazy amount of unforgettable images. The aspect ratio thing was a little distracting, but it didn't happen too much. It was nowhere near as obnoxious as say Michael Bay's Transformers: The Last Knight.

The sound design is insane too, as is Hans Zimmer's incredibly rich organ filled score. I rarely like to listen to a film as loud as possible, but holy shit, the sound in this film needs it, probably the main reason I wanted to see this in cinemas.

I feel Interstellar is a film that will only get richer with every watch. There is so much detail that can't be seen with one watch. I forgot how much relevance the end had to minor things happening in the beginning. I can't wait to see it for again, because Interstellar is a an ambitious, beautiful and emotional masterpiece from Christopher Nolan.

10/10 Dans

Interstellar is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews, @DanBremner96 and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @DanBremner96 and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron

Facebook
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...