Friday 19 May 2017

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written May 19th, 2017*
 More my thoughts on the series as a whole:

Well, my Harry Potter journey has come to an end, and what a beautiful, emotional and heartfelt end it came to. Deathly Hallows Part 2 is like the second half of Breaking Bad season 5. Everything put into 2 hours, to bring the series to an end, and it never stops.

This was everything I ever possibly could have wanted from a finale to a series. Everyone has closure and a chance to shine, while the epilogue is touching, beautiful and brings things full circle is the best way possible.

I was pretty hit-and-miss watching all the films back to back a few years ago, but this time they all clicked with me in one way or another. The earlier films have their flaws for sure and are easily the weakest of the lot, but they still were just what I needed right now, and I am happy about the fact I loved them all in some way.

It has been an incredible experience seeing these actors and characters grow in depth and complexity as the series progressed, going through things we've all been through, but in the backdrop of a fantasy world based around magic. The performances of every actor massively improves with each film and it is so noticeable, making each one feel like a genuine improvement on the the last. Even minor characters have evolved and been fully fleshed out, including ones you would not expect. The only exception I'd say was Malfoy, who was just rubbish from beginning to end. There was no reason to fear this villain, every single moment he had a chance to prove his villainy, he proved to be a coward and cry baby, to the point I have no idea why anyone even took him seriously for one second.

In Deathly Hallows Part 2 every scene had meaning and flowed, the action is gorgeous and some of the best of the entire franchise. The heartbreaking revelations are effective and just fucked me. David Yates has truly been a consistent director in the quality of the past few films and as much as I wish a load of different directors got to put their take on Potter on screen, I'm glad someone was able to follow through with their vision for the finale entries. That said, each different director has given something unique and memorable with the films directed.

Harry Potter was a huge part of my childhood and I'm sad to see it go once again, but this was a hell of a ride revisiting them, and I cannot wait to do it again in the future. Give me my 4K boxset of the entire series. I will also be reading all the books soon.

10/10 Dans

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is out now in the UK on 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD now
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews, @DanBremner1996 and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @DanBremner and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron 

Facebook
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...