Monday 27 March 2017

Power Rangers (2017) - Film Review

Review:

I didn't grow up with Power Rangers and I had no real excitement for this at all. I, at the very least expected some mind-numbingly entertaining action in here somewhere in the way of Michael Bay's Transformers series. Instead, I got none of that, I got something closer to Josh Trank's 2015 Fantastic Four reboot.

I know Power Rangers is a very campy and outdated TV show, so I'm not entirely sure what this was going for. It tries to be dark and gritty, but opens with a joke about wanking off a bull. Amongst the dark and fairly ugly cinematography, we get these faux, bright colours, reminding me almost of Zack Snyder. The design of the Power Rangers were actually quite terrifying up close too, they had these cold dead eyes that would scare the shit out of me if that was in my face.

The new Rangers
None of the Power Rangers themselves have any kind of chemistry and to be honest, they're pretty unlikeable. I sort of appreciate them trying to spend more time with the characters rather than non-stop action, but what we were left of was mostly just boring. The lead actor, Dacre Montgomery is a bland, charisma vacuum that looks like the love-child of Zac Efron and Chris Pine. The use of a lesbian character is a nice touch, but they do absolutely nothing with it.

Contrasting the bland, lifeless cast of the Power Rangers is Elizabeth Banks villains, who is appalling. It just adds to the problematic mess this film is. This tries to be a grounded and gritty superhero film, but then they add Banks going full pantomine mode with a performance as laughable as the character's name, "Rita Repulsa".
Elizabeth Banks as "Rita Repulsa"
When the film finally does explode in the last 20 minutes with some action. It couldn't save it. It's just an extremely bland, CGI shit-fest of momentously boring giant things hitting eachother. They even throw in the original Power Rangers theme, which I laughed at, I'm not entirely sure the use of it was ironic or not? But it got a laugh out of me.

I have to mention the abhorrently obnoxious use of Krispy Kreme. Product placement is fine as long as it's not overdone. Power Rangers 2017 is a joke. I never thought I'd see a film where Krispy Kreme is actually a location of a secret object. There's even a scene during the final battle where Elizabeth Banks stops fighting in order to eat and savour a donut. I am not making this up. It was so vile and cynical.

I wish I had fun with Power Rangers, but there was nothing in it for me. It's part boring superhero origin story, part weird version of Breakfast Club, part Transformers (There's even a reference to Bumblebee) and part campy nonsense. It's a tonal nightmare that doesn't know what it wants to be. There's 5 sequels planned, I'm open to giving this series a chance to evolve, but if the next one is anything like this, then I'm out.

2/10 Dans

Power Rangers is out now in cinemas in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews, @DanBremner1996 and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @DanBremner and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron 

Facebook
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...